2010 WORLD CUP SOUTH AFRICA

I was asked by a few people if i'd write a blog for the World Cup, from fans who will be watching every kick to people who have no interest in football but know it can't be avoided and could read what i put to help them through or at least make them smile

Saturday 29 May 2010

Exclusive interview with Patrick o'Reilly


Today, I'm lucky enough to bring an interview with Ireland's own, Mr. Patrick O'Reilly



With the tournament mere days away now, who do you think will win the World Cup?

Hmmm, don't know really....though i have a strange feeling Italy will do good so I will say them


Who would you like to see win the World Cup?

I think it would be great for a developing country (in a pure footballing sense) to win it, so it could kick start football in that country, somebody like USA or an African team


How do you think England will do in the tournament?

I defiantly think they will get out of the group stage, they have such a great draw for that they can't really fail really, I can't see them winning it though and i can't put my finger on why. They have great individual players but just don't seem to have the team spirit and confidence. Maybe it's the weight of expectation on them.


Are there any players your looking forward to seeing in the World Cup?

Can't wait to see Javier Hernandez for Mexico, see what Manchester United will get to see next season hopefully (Patrick is a Manchester United fan and they have recently signed 21 year old Hernandez) . I am looking forward to seeing all United players actually, Evra especially as i think he is a joy to watch, like a winger who plays at left back. Also looking forward to watching Brazil, they are always entertaining.


What is your earliest memory of the World Cup finals?


The first World Cup i really got into was Mexico '86, I remember getting the sticker album and rushing home each night from school to see what was happening and watching some of the matches. I remember Lineker vs Paraguay with the cast on his arm as a mate of mine at school broke his arm at the same time and had a cast and kept saying in the playground football matches he was Linekar! I remember quite well the 'hand of God' match, it was insane!! There was uproar around the country from what i recall, it was more the dribbled goal by Maradona that i remember though, simply amazing.







I have really great memories of Italia '90 though, it was even better for me than Mexico, i was at just the right age to really enjoy it, I would of been 14 at the time then. I remember being so excited for Ireland and Jack Charlton, they had done so well and had a great World Cup. The penalty shoot out versus Romania was mental at our house and so tense, i remember after David O'Leary scored the winning penalty, my brother just burst into tears with sheer relief! Was gutted when Ireland went out though. As for the England side of things. by this time I had been indoctrinated by my Dad, a very pro Irish man, into hating England and so wanted them to fail. Was gutted when Cameroon came so close to beating them, even with the alleged witch doctor putting a curse on England before the match!, i love all that 'mumbo jumbo' leading up to the game and then by the time England got to play in THAT semi final (versus Germany) i had got so cheesed off with the England love-fest that my brother, me and a couple of mates didn't even watch the first 90 minutes as we went up the field at the top of our street to play football ourselves! Anyway, mid way through my mates Mum comes out to tell us someone is crying! So we all looked at each other and just said 'GAZZA' then went back to our game, then she called us again to say it was full time and extra time so we went round to his house watching extra time then the penalties in a big pro-Irish household who all cheered when England went out!



As for subsequent World Cups i haven't really got into them as much as the others, USA '94 was fun for most of it as i was at a mates and it was a really relaxed tournament but that's about it.
I am really excited for this World Cup though, thanks in no small part to your blog which has really got me fired up (thanks Patrick)


Is there a song or something that always makes you think of the World Cup or a specific World Cup moment?

Bit of a cliche but has to be World In Motion (England's song by New Order for Italia '90)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uFWGALVF0Y. also the BBC Mexico '86 World Cup music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-rypZLHsQ which you can find on youTube, listened to it the other day and it sent shivers down my spine.


Is there one kit you seem to remember all the time? also, any player that stands out for any strange reason?

Player has got to be Maradona, i would put him in the top 3 best players of all time, it was amazing watching him for Argentina in '86 and '90, he carried the team a lot at the time.


Gazza (Paul Gascoigne, England) was good to watch too and it was exciting just wondering what stupid thing he would do next, though on the pitch he was awesome. Bryan Robson too, he was a legend.




As for kits, I just liked the simplicity of them back in those days, England's 1990 shirt was iconic. I do quite like the new England shirt though, it is very retro and simple and those are my favourite kits. Kudos to the old Cameroon vests though.





Would you like to see the tournament held in Ireland one day and what would the people of Ireland make of it?

I think it would be great if the World Cup were to be held in Ireland. The famed Irish hospitality would make everybody welcome and it would be one big celebration. I think they would need to work on building a lot of the stadia though, apart from Croke Park, I don't think there is one good stadium in the country. Maybe it could be a joint tournament held in Ireland, Wales and Scotland? Then at least Ireland wouldn't be cheated out of a place in the finals.


Who would you say is the greatest player of all time?

I'm lucky to have been able to see some of the greatest players in the world playing in the flesh, i used to watch Manchester United from the late 80's and the amazing players they have had such as Cantona, Beckham, Keane, Scholes and Jordi Cruyff, joke. I got to see players from some of the top European teams like Romario, Del Piero and Ronaldo.


I have recently come round to thinking that Ryan Giggs really is the best player of all time, i don't think anyone else has played for so long, at such a high level and won so many honours. I remember Giggsy goals, such as the simply incredible run against Arsenal in the '99 F.A. Cup semi final http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOyedpeZnkand years and years of top level performances and I think his light burnt brightest for longer, more so than Zidane or Besty (George Best) even.


It's such a shame that he never got to play in the World Cup, but i suppose I take consolation from the fact that this maybe meant he avoided injury and was able to play for United more.





Many thanks to Patrick for doing this

No comments:

Post a Comment